California eCPR (Electronic Certified Payroll) for QuickBooks
As most of you are aware, the California DIR's (Department of Industrial Relations) electronic certified payroll reporting (eCPR) system has been updated with new requirements in place for public works projects awareded on or after April 1, 2015. The new eCPR system became effective on 6/4/2015.
The new eCPR requirements involve submitting an XML file and replaces the previous .pdf upload. XML stands for Extensible Markup Language and defines a set of rules for encoding documents in a file format which can be read by both humans and machines. This language, in my opinion, is far easier for a machine to read than a human!
We have made the coding changes to Certified Payroll Solution (CPS) for QuickBooks to accomomodate the DIR xml format. These changes were initially released as a beta test on 6/10/2015 to several existing customers. Our beta testers have been able to successfully upload the xml file that CPS created into the eCPR system without issue.
Due to the success of the initial beta test, we released the update to all of our customers who had an active Maintenance plan in California on 6/12/2015.
Here is what we know about the California Department of Industrial Relations eCPR system:
- Contractors and subcontractors who have been submitting PDF copies of their CPRs for earlier projects must begin using the new system.
- CPRs can be imported automatically using an XML file or uploaded individually onto an online form.
- Contractors and subcontractors must register with DIR and meet certain requirements before bidding or working on public works in California. Read the SB 854 Fact Sheet for a complete list of requirements.
- Look up your DIR project ID by searching for the project at https://www.dir.ca.gov/pwc100ext/ExternalLookup.aspx
Existing customers must download a compatibility update following the instruction found in this help document - pdf California eCPR Setup Instructions (2.35 MB) .
New trial users/customers will find this feature contained within the program - but must download the setup instructions found in this help document - pdf California eCPR Setup Instructions (2.35 MB) .
A word of advice, DO NOT let anyone tell you that QuickBooks on it's own can produce the xml file - it cannot - we have talked with people who have spent days on the phone with Intuit support to find this out.
- Alaska Department of Labor-LLS Online Certified Payroll Update
- Nevada DOT AASHTO Certified Payroll Upload Available
- QuickBooks 2024 Compatibility Announced
- Resolution for problems with initial QuickBooks 2022 release
- IMPORTANT! Problems with QuickBooks 2022 - Don't Upgrade
- Important News About QuickBooks Desktop 2021 & 2022
- 7-13-21: US DOL Releases Final WH-347 Form
- U.S. DOL issues temporary WH-347
- Another Update for Illinois DOL Electronic Uploads
- QuickBooks DESKTOP 2021 Compatibility IS AVAILABLE